Friday 31 October 2014

Blog 8 - Flash Fiction

The Fire!

Every day is the same in our house, or at least it used to be! The clock goes off at 7:00 a.m., out of bed, shower, hair styling, breakfast and prepare lunches (chicken fingers from the oven to a thermos) and out the door. Drop my brother at high school, mom at work and into the parking lot at MUN for a 9:00 class. But yesterday, that routine was shattered. I was at the University Centre (UC), just going on Google to search some information when my brother texted to ask why his thermos was empty. My Internet opened on VOCM News and I noticed the top story was a fire in the East End. It was so obvious … our house was on fire!  I raced to the parking lot, tore off, onto Prince Philip Drive and made my way toward home. I was pretty sure the smoke was from our neighborhood. Oh my god, our house was on fire!! The smoke was everywhere! As I turned onto our street I was amazed the fire trucks were nowhere to be seen. I was in such a state, I could hardly see the house with smoke but I couldn’t smell it. I burst through the door, at the risk of smothering.  The house was not as smoke filled as I expected, in fact it was not as smokey as outdoors. I was bewildered that the stove was off, the chicken fingers were sitting pretty on the tray.  I went out to take a breath and a neighbor walking his dog greeted me,  “It’s some foggy today”. 


I got off easy, the house was not burning, the oven wasn’t left on, and we are too rushed in the morning. Yes, the routine has changed. My brother can get his own lunch, and Mom will check the oven before we leave the house, and I will notice the difference in fog and smoke!

No comments:

Post a Comment